Saturday, March 24, 2012

What I've learned from Lupus

There are a few things having a chronic disease will teach you.  I thought I'd share them.  They are not in any specific order.

1.  You will learn how to "fake it" better than most.   There are only a select few that see you at your worst.  The rest see you struggling...with a smile.

2.  You will count your blessings...sometimes by the minute.

3.  You will see God's promises and TRUST them.  Sometimes through the pain, that's all you've got.

4.  You will feel helpless for not being able to do the things you once did.

5.  You will be frustrated that those close to you can't understand  AND be grateful at the same time.

6.  You will feel guilty as your children play outside and you lie in the bed.

7.  You  will hate texting your friends to tell them that you can't make it for lunch because you need to go back to bed.

8.  One day you will feel like you can take on the world...the next day like you could sink to the bottom of it.

9.  You will find out that those who love you...really love you.

10.  You will finally understand what it means to depend on others even when you don't normally like to ask for help.

11.  You will be humbled and amazed at what you can go through and come out stronger on the other side.

12.  Once you allow other's to help, you'll be amazed at how wonderful it makes them feel.

13.  When the simple things exhaust you, you'll come to appreciate the larger tasks.

14.  You become an excellent planner...as every day has to have a balance.

15.  You appreciate your family and friends more than they will ever know.
Walk for Lupus Now
2011

16.  You will look healthy, so most people will not have a clue that you are sick.

17.  Even though other's may not know, you NEVER forget you have this disease.  It's with you wherever you go.

18.  Your "good" days will never be the same.

19.  Your life has to change.  Period.  It's up to you how to keep living it.

20.  Even through Lupus or another chronic illness, you have to remember that God works all things to the good.  Always.



I've recently had the revelation that:
Because of Lupus, I am a stay-at-home mom which was always my dream.  
Because of Lupus, I have made some amazing friends that I might not have otherwise met.  
Because of Lupus, I am part of a support group that can help encourage others that are struggling with this disease.  
Because of Lupus, I know how strong I really am.  
Because of Lupus, my Faith is stronger that it has ever been and my relationship with God is like its never been.  
Because of Lupus, I am okay with just being me.


The "Walk for Lupus Now" in Birmingham is June 9th.  

As always, thanks so much for your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment